Title: “Enhancing institutional support to women from non-majority communities in combating gender discrimination
Duration: 6 months
Starting date: September 1st, 2022
Funded by: UN Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK)
Objectives of the project
Kosovo Program for Gender Equality (KPGE) is principal mechanism set to assure the meticulous implementation of the Law on Gender Equality. The strategy offers a comprehensive and ambitious road map in attainment of its main goal that is to place a gender equality at the center of transformation process in Kosovo. However, the analysis of the document reveals critical disregard of the specific needs of the women from minority communities and lack of accountable approach in tackling the issue of gender discrimination in Kosovo. To remedy this oversight, the project proposes a mobilization of resources and beneficiary communities in identification of practical and serviceable measures that’s substantiate the Action plan for the KPGE Strategy with tailored approach toward women from non-majority communities. Thus, the overall objective of the initiative is to enhance the institutional response to gender discrimination in non-majority communities in Kosovo.
This will be achieved through three specific objectives:
- Identification of genuine need of women from minority communities in achievement of gender equality through inclusive and participatory consultation process,
- Translation of the genuine need of women from non-majority communities into serviceable and measurable action points for Kosovo Program for Gender Equality, and
- Amendment of KPGE Action plan for the period 2022-2024 with action points that effectuate the accountable treatment of women from non-majority communities in Kosovo.
- Enhancement of proactive engagement of women from non-majority communities in advocating their interest at central level institutions/processes
- Creation of local know-how framework in addressing the gender discrimination within non-majority communities through identification of concrete actions points that enable women from these communities to benefit from national/central level policies
- Constructive and objective based collaboration between non-majority communities and central level institutions leading to increased accountability of Kosovo government in combating gender discrimination at all levels, and ultimately:
- Increased societal affirmation of women from non-majority communities
- Final report